Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Update -

It's been some time since my last post. Many things have happened in the meantime:

  • I interned at ecoATM, in San Diego -
The company focuses on the dormant market composed of the multiple phones that each of us has, lying around the house, unused. When a customer brings the phone to an ecoATM kiosk, a few pictures are snapped and processed to recognize which brand/model/condition it is in, then hands out cash. The phones are then auctioned off to resellers for parts or as is, and shipped out.
A full blog is dedicated to the work I did their for their computer vision algorithm, but unfortunately it's confidential. A few "customers" have adopted "adversarial behaviors" and managed to extirpate money out of the kiosks, so ecoATM won't let me talk about their recognition system. The work I did addressed these issues though.



  • I graduated from UCSD!
First graduation ever (there are no graduation ceremonies in France, and the recent initiatives to establish some have been... lame). Finally got my ECE diploma, with a custom focus in Computer Vision. Definitely one of the most American things I've done so far (along with watching College football and WWE Monday Night Raw).



  • I moved to Pittsburgh for grad school!
After much consideration and debate (mainly between Columbia and CMU) I decided to go to Carnegie Mellon University. My major is ECE, int he CIT (Carnegie Institute of Technology), but I'm crossing over to take some classes in the CS department - mainly Machine Learning courses.
Taking all the graduate Computer Vision courses at UCSD my senior year played out nicely - I can now focus on ML here at Carnegie Mellon.
The university has been great so far - the curriculum features so many interesting classes, I feel like taking so many of them. There are tons of social, technical, recruiting events happen every day. I don't think I've cooked anything in the last 2 weeks - I've been eating for free by going to a few talks. The Job fair was insane: so many tech companies and startups showed up, all eager to recruit CMU students. I had an interview this very morning with Microsoft. I'd love to do something in Computer Vision with the Microsoft Research team! Maybe work on the next Photosynth?
Fingers crossed.





No comments:

Post a Comment